Library Assistant full job description
The Library Assistant performs a variety of patron contact duties including in-person, over the phone and via email. The Library Assistant is usually the first point of contact for patrons and must exhibit excellent customer service while performing all work duties. A proven record of customer service is required.
Work Schedule: part-time, 20-24 hours per week, may include evenings and Saturdays at times
Salary is $14-16/hour, commensurate upon qualifications and experience.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Demonstrates effective public service skills, and an understanding of public library operations. Supports “patron first” practices. Proactively seeks to assist patrons. Circulates the library floor regularly while performing other work duties to actively assist patrons with their requests. Demonstrates tact and professionalism in all patron communications in-person, on the phone and via email. Provides accurate informational and directional assistance to patron inquires.
- Proficiently handles the circulation functions of the libraries integrated system including log-in, check-in, check-out, placing holds, collecting fines, searching patron database, patron registration, and issuing library cards. Performs these functions efficiently with a minimum of errors.
- Assists patrons with technology needs with patron devices and/or library computers.
- Creates positive experiences for library patrons by effectively and efficiently performing job tasks in professional, courteous and helpful manner; presents a positive image of the library in attitude, communications and appearance while performing duties in both the public and staff areas.
- Demonstrates a professional, positive, cooperative, team-oriented working relationship with staff and volunteers.
Experience: Two years of previous public library or customer service is required.
Education: High School diploma or GED equivalent required. Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree is preferred.
Language Skills: Bilingual (English and Spanish) is not required, but preferred.
Other Required/Preferred Skills & Experience
- Must possess excellent customer service skills for diverse patron population.
- Must be able to learn library operating systems, online databases, reader’s advisory, and Internet searching.
- Requires ability to handle patron complaints and handle difficult situations involving patrons.
- Requires the ability to work under periods of occasional stress resulting from peak periods of patron service requests.
- Must have the ability to work as an effective team member and work independently to complete work assignments as assigned. Must be a self-starter.
- Requires the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and library patrons.
- Must have the ability to learn and become proficient in skills, functions and technologies required to perform job duties, working effectively independently or cooperatively as part of a team, maintaining effective working relationships to complete assigned tasks and accomplish job responsibilities.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Ability to keep confidential records and perform routine tasks; learn library methods, techniques and computerized databases; work in a team environment; use good judgment. Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately; pay attention to detail. Ability to work schedule that may include evenings or at times, a Saturday.
- Computer Skills: Must have competency in computer use including internet, email, Microsoft Office Products and troubleshooting. Must be able to learn and become proficient with equipment and software programs as required to effectively and efficiently perform assigned duties.
- Physical Abilities: Hearing and vision corrected to normal ranges. Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds, and push a loaded book truck weighing 100 pounds. Ability to reach up to seven feet to retrieve and replace books with a stool, as needed. Must have the physical ability, stamina, mobility and manual dexterity to stand and walk for an entire shift.
Please submit a letter of interest along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 15 at 5 pm. No phone calls, please.