The namesake for the Ruby M. Sisson Memorial Library was a noted Pagosa Springs pioneer and educator (photo, left, circa 1978). The estate of “Miss Ruby” (1902 – 1985) helped establish the present library. Landowner Robert Lindner purchased and dedicated the property in Ruby Sisson’s memory. Built in 1989, the facilities expanded in 2004. The original Pagosa Springs public library grew from a private library and a donated collection at the turn of the century. The Pagosa Springs Woman’s Civic Club maintained the early library until Archuleta County took over in 1966. The Woman’s Civic Club continues to support the library through fundraising.
The original Pagosa Springs public library, circa 1880