November 15, 2022
Join us for an enlightening hour with bestselling author Kwame Christian as he chats about his new book How to Have Difficult Conversations About Race: Practical Tools for Necessary Change in the Workplace and Beyond.
How to Have Difficult Conversations About Race helps readers gain the confidence to not only talk about race, but actually make a difference when you do. Negotiation expert Kwame Christian's motto is: "The best things in life are on the other side of difficult conversations." If we want a more equitable workplace, and a more equitable world, we have to talk to each other about race. But, for so many of us, that's easier said than done. Many people avoid conversations about race because of fear: fear of discomfort, damaging important relationships, being misunderstood, "cancelled," or ostracized. How to Have Difficult Conversations About Race equips you with the skills you need to make these crucial conversations easier and more productive. Whether you're looking to create change for yourself and other BIPOC, or a white ally seeking to support your coworkers or clients, you'll learn how to:
- Overcome your internal barriers to talking about diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI).
- Work around others' barriers to productive discussion.
- Be strategic about the outcome you want, and guide the conversation accordingly.
- Use "Compassionate Curiosity" to connect and persuade.
- Avoid common mistakes.
- Communicate more effectively over email, when you can't talk face to face
Author Talk with Kwame Christian