This position reports to the Director and includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities. As in most jobs, there are other duties as assigned.
- Plan and present weekly Storytimes; choose books to read and prepare crafts, music, finger play, and flannel board activities emphasizing early literacy skills.
- Present Storytimes for local preschools approximately three times a month.
- Organize a monthly LEGO Club and twice annual contest.
- Plan summer reading programs for babies and early elementary age children; plan programs, Storytimes, and do overall reporting for the program.
- Develop and maintain community partnerships, including with the local school district.
- Present special one-time programs for children in-house and as outreach.
- Maintain children programming budget and share juvenile programming budget.
- Staff circulation desk and backup desk 2-4 hours, depending on needs.
- Provide technology assistance to patrons.
- Provide reader’s advisory service to both adults and children.
- Answer phone and respond to patron inquiries.
- Pull books for library displays.
- Shelve and shelf-read, as needed.
- Maintain collection development budget.
- Collection management for babies through elementary age, including purchasing, cataloging and weeding.
- Collaborate with teen librarian for juvenile collection management.
- Select children’s DVDs.
- Keep current with children’s literature by reading professional journals.
- Attend continued learning offered by library organizations through webinars and workshops.
- Take continuing education classes as allowed by time and budget.
Education and Experience: A Master’s degree in Library or Information Science (or other applicable degree) from an ALA-accredited college or university. At least one year of previous library experience as a professional is strongly preferred. Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus.
Salary: $40,000 to $45,000 depending on experience.
Schedule: Full-time (40 hours/week) including one or two evenings a week (open until 8 pm on T/Th, and 6 pm on M/W/F) and every Saturday. Benefits: retirement, insurance stipend, paid holidays, and paid time off (PTO).
Where you will be working:
The Ruby Sisson Library is a public library located in Pagosa Springs, Colorado in the Four Corners region. It is the only library in Archuleta County and comprises the Upper San Juan Library District. Pagosa Springs is a community of about 14,000 people (2,000 town population, 12,000 county population). A former timber town, Pagosa Springs now thrives on tourism and geothermal businesses. Named after the world-famous “Great Pagosah Hot Springs,” Pagosa Springs is home to numerous outdoor attractions, including the Wolf Creek Ski Area and the Weminuche Wilderness. The community of Pagosa Springs offers many amenities to nature enthusiasts, civic and service-minded individuals, families, land/animal owners, and outdoor recreationists. The Ruby Sisson Library serves all members of the Pagosa Springs community – long-time residents, seasonal homeowners, tourists, regular visitors and more.
Email your resume and letter of interest to Meg Wempe, Library Director, firstname.lastname@example.org .
(This position will be filled quickly, so don’t delay in submitting your information!)