Complete job posting:
The Youth Services Librarian position reports to the Director/Assistant Director and includes, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities.
- Plan and present weekly Story Time; choose books to read and prepare crafts, music, fingerplays, and flannel board activities emphasizing early literacy skills.
- Plan and present Baby/Toddler Story Time on a weekly basis emphasizing early literacy skills.
- Present story times for preschools three weeks each month.
- Present once a month LEGO Club.
- Plan summer reading programs for babies and early elementary age children; plan programs, story times, and do overall reporting for the program.
- Develop community partnerships.
- Develop additional programs for children as needed.
- Present special one-time programs for children.
- Maintain youth programming budget.
- Provide Reader’s Advisory services to both adults and children.
- Staff circulation desk two hours per day and provide backup assistance when needed.
- Answer phone and respond to patron inquiries.
- Pull books for library displays.
- Shelve books.
- Provide technology assistance to patrons.
- Maintain collection development budget.
- Collection management for children from birth through teen ages, including purchasing and weeding.
- Suggest Fantasy and Science Fiction titles to be added to the adult collection.
- Purchase DVDs for all ages.
- Purchase ebooks for library Nooks, archiving previous purchases when necessary, along with updating the MARC record.
- Supervise Library Assistant.
- Take continuing education classes as allowed by time and budget
- Keep current with children and young adult literature by reading professional journals
- Attend workshops offered by library organizations
Education and Experience
A Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA accredited college or university is required. Previous library experience is preferred. Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus.
Salary: $37,500 to $42,500, depending upon experience.
Schedule: Full-time (40hours/week) including one evening a week, and every Saturday. Benefits include paid holidays and paid time off. Medical insurance is reimbursed up to $500 a month.
To be considered, please submit your resume and a letter of interest before July 1, 2015 by email to:
Jackie Welch, Director
Ruby Sisson Memorial Library